tumblr page counter
HOME about press book archives+categories contact Chrisy Ross on twitter Chrisy Ross on facebook subscribe by RSS subscribe by email
buy the book
To Mormons, With Love
buy the book
buy now buy now buy now
buy the ebook
iBook Kindle Nook
Chrisy Ross on twitter
« Spring Break - Part II | Main | V-Day BK [before kids] »

Spring Break - Part I

The five-year-old-boy is quasi-civilized now. Spring break and vacation options are growing more vast by the day. We decided to travel to Maui late-February, early-March, for our sons' spring break. I inventoried bathing suits, purchased basics for boys who have grown a freakish amount in the last six months and tried to put a positive spin on our return red-eye flight.

We woke the kids up very early on Sunday, February 26th and headed for the airport to catch our 6:30 a.m. flight to L.A. where we would board a plane to Maui. We were stoked!

And Then The Flight Was Delayed

Unfortunately, our flight was delayed by a couple of hours resulting in us missing our connection in L.A. We sat in the LAX airport for almost nine hours and arrived in Maui late that night. We'd had a few tears and discussed how life is messy and we need to handle bumps in the road... better. We weren't feeling as stoked.

[Oldest Boy and Middle Boy hanging tough.]


[The Five-Year-Old-Boy became a Diva and would allow very few pictures to be taken from this point forward.]


And Then They Lost Our Luggage

Mom Pajamas [Must be burned] Oldest Boy [13], a type 1 diabetic, had carry-on luggage with medical supplies and most of his clothes. The rest of us had nothing. Middle Boy [11] was able to borrow underwear and pajamas from his brother, but Chris and the five-year-old-boy had to rough it. I mortified my sons and guaranteed my husband wouldn't touch me that night by wearing a pair of Oldest Boy's clean underwear [boxer briefs] and his Mickey Mouse t-shirt after showering.

And Then We Lost The Five-Year-Old-Boy

We were all tired, our rooms smelled funny, and Chris was on the phone with the airline trying to find our luggage. We'd been up for almost 24 hours and were disappointed that our plan to hit the beach the afternoon we arrived had failed. A travel day that long should have landed us in Australia...or on the moon. 

When I got out of the shower near midnight, wearing my son's underwear and t-shirt, I walked from room to room assessing our situation. Husband on phone, older boys settling in...but no little boy. I went through our rooms again like the Tasmanian Devil and screamed at my husband, "How did YOU let this happen?" when it was evident the youngest Ross boy was gone.

Chris ran out a front door while the two older boys and I cried and opened balcony doors in piercing fear and disbelief.

The phone rang and someone had found our son roaming the halls and walked him to the lobby. In our arrival commotion he'd been locked out of our funny smelling rooms. He was missing for five minutes, but they were terrifying moments.

And Then We Hit The Beach...Finally

After a long night with only three hours of sleep, our child and our luggage found, and a call made to request a room change because of the smell and bad karma, we donned our own bathing suits and marched our white bodies to the beach. The day lifted our spirits. Maybe this vacation wouldn't suck!

And Then We Went To The Luau

If things had gone as planned, we would have arrived in Maui on time, had a leisurely first afternoon, a decent night's rest and been ready for the Luau I'd booked for the second night there. Although tired, we were excited to attend the show that was highly recommended. The Luau was entertaining, the food was good and when a storm rolled in and it began to rain, ponchos were quickly distributed to 600 guests. The five-year-old-boy fell asleep in my lap towards the end of the evening, but he was content. What a nice vacation...

[Oldest Boy helping Middle Boy make the "Hang Loose" sign, not to be confused with the "Rock On" or "I love you," sign.]

Middle Boy trying to sign "Hang Loose"

Hang Loose!

And Then My Stomach Danced

Not in a cute or jolly way. Trouble was brewing. Big trouble. I looked across the table at Chris in panic. "Something's wrong. I'm going to be sick. Take him," I mouthed as I almost threw our sleeping child to Chris.

I willed my body to not explode in the bushes at the Luau [I still owe God a follow-up conversation—I don't remember exactly what I promised] and the miracle continued until Chris managed to get our car to the front of the facility, driving over 600 people, and loaded our three boys and me into the car. "Drive fast," I said, "It's going to be bad." And out of the parking lot we screeched.

And Then I Threw Up

We didn't get far. Chris pulled over the first time right outside the Luau. Headlights from the cars behind us provided the perfect spotlight for my show. We continued to our hotel, Chris stopped the car when I gave the signal—which was any movement or sound—and our three sons remained reverent and stoic. Chris maneuvered our rental car as close to a hotel entrance as possible. Oldest Boy and Middle Boy escorted me to our room while Chris parked, pausing to cover me as I defiled the resort's beautiful landscaping along the way.

I made besties with the toilet and a bucket, Chris got all three boys in bed and promised them I would live.

"I think I need help," I said when Chris asked how I was doing.

"Do you need to go to the hospital?"


Chris made some phone calls and discovered all urgent care facilities were closed. The nearest hospital was 30 minutes away. He wanted to drive me there.

"We can't get the kids up. They've only had three hours of sleep. And we can't just leave them." I thought for a minute. "Put me in a cab."

"NO. You're crazy."

"Just give me my bucket and call a cab." I was serious and I thought it was the perfect solution.

The next twenty minutes are a blur.

And Then The Paramedics Arrived

To be continued...

Reader Comments (22)

I REALLY wish we had known you were there - we spent 10 days, total - not without our own drama and trips to the Urgent Care (and I still don't think that lady was a real Dr.). Can't wait to hear Part II.
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMarie
WHA????? You can't leave us hanging like that. I certainly hope the rest of your trip made up for the horrendous first portion...PS Your writing kicks ass. This could be an awesome beginning to a book!

March 26, 2011 | Unregistered Commenterchristy
WTF? you reel me in, hook, line and sinker and then just leave me there in limbo to flounder, mouth agape, waiting for part deux with baited breath. Hmffph!

P.S. Can you snap it up with Part II? Pleez?
I think we should hire Chrisy a maid and a nanny so she is free to write the rest.
Oh, precious sweetheart Chrisy . . . to be continued.
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterCheri @ Blog This Mom!
Oh goodness me... what a horror story! So sorry to hear this... What on earth happened next?

(Don't forget to post some of those pretty sunset pics too!)
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterLady Fi
oh nooooo...... This might rival Liz's overnight stay in a Florence hospital ward after someone drugged her drink.... so sorry.....

March 26, 2011 | Unregistered Commenterpam
I think this is all part of the universe gone mad these past couple of months!!! No fair that your holiday started so bady - I have fingers crossed that there might have been some fun at the end!
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered Commentermary
Further proving that you are our people. We have a similar story in Boston but that's for another day. The next time you folks get stuck in LA, call me for gosh sakes.

Thanks, Mary. We managed to make many good memories! :)
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris

I think I love V-Grrrl and would enjoy traveling anywhere with her. xo

March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris

I know. I took a lame easy way out of the end... for now. I read somewhere that blog posts shouldn't exceed 1000 words -- just trying not to put people to sleep. Now I feel badly because Part II's not that interesting... except for the tsunami. ;)

March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris

We had a great time, Christy. Don't you worry. xo

March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris

Are you shi##ing me? You guys were in Maui, too? Nuts! You made me laugh out loud with your lady Dr. comment. Can't wait to hear YOUR story. You really should start a blog, Marie. xo

March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris
Shoot! That would have been a perfect way to spend a few hours, Andy. I need to get your number again -- I think this makes strike two for missed opportunities to connect. I won't miss the next one, and I'd love to hear your Boston story. :)
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris
Yikes! What a cliff hanger!! My mom had something similar happen on a Maui trip 2 years ago. Turned out to be her gallbladder which she ended up leaving behind at the Kaiser hospital on Maui after surgery! Glad to read in comments above that there were still some good memories of the trip. Waiting to hear how this turned out!
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSusan Johnston
Holy Crap! I can't believe this. Can't wait to read more. Am assuming you are ok since you are blogging about it!
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered Commenteranna see
I hope you're OK after all this. Waiting for part 2.
March 26, 2011 | Unregistered Commentermichael.offworld
Oh my god! I seriously hope you are posting part 2, um NOW. You poor thing. At least we know you survived...
March 27, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterKate Coveny Hood
I hauled myself out of my sickbed to my computer because I saw that Chrisy posted on her blog.

I've been fighting *sickness* for 10 minutes. Now I think I need to go to the ER.

How long until part 2...so I can plan my next bathroom break.

If you wouldn't have left me and moved away, these things wouldn't be happening to you.  Part II is up -- but take your time.  Feel better, and for goodness sakes, go to the ER if you need to!  Miss you... xo

To: chrisyross@msn.com
March 27, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris

I didn't leave any souvenirs behind, other than the kind that most of us do.  What a story your mother must tell!  Your email address reminds me that I need to start doing yoga.  Hope you're well. : )

To: chrisyross@msn.com
March 27, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChris

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>